A Drastic Solution
- Solar Neutrino Puzzle was not easy to explain:
- Independent helioseismological data agreed with known model of the sun and its power generation.
- Numerous checks and verifications of the Homestake experiment confirmed that its measurements are correct.
- A few other experiments showed the same type of deficiency in the number of detected neutrinos as the Homestake experiment.
- The puzzle called for a drastic solution: what if something is happening to solar neutrinos on their way from the sun to the earth?
- What if they are turning into different neutrino type (muon or tau neutrino) that can not be observed in the detectors?
- The phenomenon of neutrino changing their type back and forth among electron, muon and tau , became known as NEUTRINO OSCILLATIONS